The attorneys of Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP maintain a substantial litigation practice and have a fine regional and national reputation in such engagements. We have litigated in state and federal courts throughout the United States and advised clients on litigation matters pending in jurisdictions outside the United States including Spain, the Channel Islands, the UK, and the British Virgin Islands. Our attorneys are comfortable litigating a wide range of matters, from highly complex, multiparty disputes to two party contract matters.
We recognize that litigation, even successful litigation, can be very damaging to the client. Accordingly, the litigation strategy we choose will be informed, first and foremost, by your business strategy – our goal is not to litigate for litigation’s sake but to achieve the right solution for our client. However, where the opposition does not recognize a reasonable solution, and where settlement is not an option, we can and will aggressively pursue your case to its ultimate resolution through trial or judgment and beyond to appeals and post-judgment enforcement action.
Business and Commercial Litigation
Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP’s litigation experience spans administrative, state, and federal venues throughout the United States and beyond. Our attorneys have represented commercial banks, financial service companies, government contractors, hospitals, private equity investors, mezzanine funds, retailers, manufacturers, media rating services, construction companies and clients from many other industries. Our litigation experience includes breach of contract, conspiracy, fraud, fraudulent conveyance, insurance coverage, tortious interference with contract, business tort, whistleblower, qui tam and false claims act litigation, tort and wrongful death claims, and litigation arising under numerous state and federal statutes.
Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP’s business and commercial litigation includes:
- Representing companies in general business litigation, including contract, and employment disputes;
- Representing lenders enforcing their rights under commercial loan agreements (including UCC sales and deeds in lieu of foreclosure);
- Representing private equity funds, and other financial sponsors in litigation relating to their portfolio assets, intercreditor/interinvestor issues, and transactional litigation;
- Representing property owners, developers, and contractors in disputes relating to construction projects and real property;
- Representing government contractors in litigation relating to JVs, teaming agreements, and other aspects of government contracts;
- Representing parties in whistleblower, qui tam, and actions under the False Claims Act;
- Representing parties in coverage litigation against an insurer; and
- Common law breaches of fiduciary duties, statutory fraud, and misappropriation.
Bankruptcy litigation moves at a lightning-fast pace, requiring lawyers to respond quickly to best protect their clients’ interests. During the first days of a corporate bankruptcy case, the court addresses and often enters binding orders concerning major issues including financing and use of cash collateral, employee retention and compensation, assumption and rejection of leases and other contracts, and payment of priority creditors and critical vendors. Within weeks, an official committee of unsecured creditors may be formed. Accordingly, it is essential that bankruptcy trial lawyers possess a comprehensive understanding of both the substance and procedure of bankruptcy law and practice.
Our attorneys possess years of bankruptcy trial experience prosecuting and defending complex contested matters and adversary proceedings and appearing in bankruptcy cases pending in venues across the United States, including California, Delaware, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New York, and Virginia, among others. We have consistently demonstrated our ability to achieve favorable resolutions in the matters in which we have appeared. Equally, if not more importantly, our bankruptcy litigators possess insight and the personal relationships with the various players in bankruptcy proceedings and know who to call to constructively and effectively negotiate favorable resolutions, where possible.
Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP’s bankruptcy litigation practice includes:
- Representing debtors, landlords, and property owners in contested matters relating to the assumption and assignment of leases, as well as in lease-related claims dispute matters;
- Representing debtors, creditors, lenders, and other parties-in-interest in litigation relating to cash collateral, lien and claim priority, DIP financing, and other bankruptcy finance-related matters;
- Representing debtors, creditors, and other parties-in-interest in adversary proceedings relating to executory contracts and general business disputes;
- Representing defendants, debtors, liquidating trustees, and creditors’ committees in preference, fraudulent conveyance and other avoidance actions; and
- Representing acquirors and sellers of assets in contested matters relating to distressed asset transactions.
Insurance Coverage Litigation
Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP attorneys have represented policyholders in insurance coverage litigation in state and federal venues nationwide. While we believe it is achievable and desirable to obtain insurance funds without litigating whenever possible, we are experienced coverage litigators as well. Our attorneys have recovered insurance funds for entertainment companies, energy generators, utilities, financial services companies, private equity investors, professional services companies, manufacturers, and clients from many other industries.
Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP’s insurance coverage litigation practice includes:
- Representing companies in coverage litigation against their insurers in state and federal courts, including declaratory judgment, breach of contract, and bad faith claims, as well as damages litigation;
- Representing policyholder companies on direct appeal in state and federal courts;
- Representing groups of amici advocating for positions favorable to policyholders in appeals in state and federal courts; and
- Appearing in bankruptcy proceedings as counsel to the debtor or special insurance counsel to advise concerning relevant insurance policies.
For more information please contact David Tayman at (202) 695-8147 or [email protected], or Katie Chaverri at (202) 695-8146 or [email protected].