Complementing our established litigation and business practices, the attorneys of Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP have substantial experience advising clients on a wide range of franchising, licensing and distribution matters. Business format franchising is a regulated form of licensing in the U.S. and other countries. The attorneys of Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP have counseled business clients on how to comply with those U.S. and foreign regulations and, if appropriate, how to structure a distribution network to avoid the application of those regulations. We have significant experience counseling clients on all phases of franchising, from developing the franchise concept, to satisfying disclosure, documentation and registration requirements, to navigating commercial and contract issues, to advising on franchisee relationship and termination disputes. We also assist our clients in developing non-franchise licensing and distribution programs as an alternative to franchising.
We help our clients manage their channel partner relationships with domestic and foreign manufacturers, distributors, dealers and suppliers, having advised clients on retail and distribution network development in the US and throughout the world. Combining this knowledge with our corporate transactional capabilities, we have served as counsel to clients acquiring entire franchise systems or entering into join ventures with franchisors to develop new markets. With this depth of experience, we are able to identify potential problems early on and we can provide creative strategies and effective solutions to help our clients achieve their desired outcome and maximize the return for their efforts.
Tayman Lane Chaverri LLP’s Franchising, Licensing and Distribution experience includes:
- Negotiating the development and store operating agreements for Justice brand retail clothing store expansion in Australia, Latin America, Europe and the Pacific Rim.
- Advising Expedia CruiseShipCenters in connection with the development, documentation, and regulatory compliance for its US franchise program.
- Assisting Jos. A. Bank franchisees manage their relationship with the franchisor and negotiating their franchise agreements.
- Advising Wal-Mart Stores in developing a licensing strategy for its George brand retail clothing operations.
- Advising private equity firms acquiring master franchise rights for Burger King Restaurant development in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Assisting various clients acquiring entire franchise systems and managing brand competition issues.
For more information please contact David Tayman at (202) 695-8147 or [email protected].