Mr. An focuses his practice on corporate and commercial matters, and utilizes his background in business and law to formulate creative and effective solutions for clients. He is an experienced transactional attorney who counsels clients in all facets of their business including formation, commercial agreements, capital raises, growth opportunities, employment and labor issues, regulatory frameworks, and acquisitions and divestitures. Mr. An is also a skilled litigator who has handled all facets of a case including pleadings practice, discovery, mediation, pretrial, trial, and appeals. Prior to working with Tayman Lane Chaverri, Mr. An worked at a boutique litigation firm in Bethesda, Maryland, and, prior to that, was in-house counsel for a government contractor. Mr. An’s unique blend of skills and experiences make him a strong attorney, advocate, and counselor able to advise business clients on a full suite of legal issues. He has worked with clients in numerous industries including financial services, venture capital, government contracts, real estate, and technology.
Mr. An has
- Counseled clients in the financial services, technology and communications sectors in acquisitions and divestitures worth tens of millions of dollars.
- Advised clients on capital raises and financings, and the related regulatory frameworks.
- Guided clients through the regulatory frameworks, and statutory and practice/procedural nuances associated with the Internal Revenue Code, FAR, FERPA, Dodd-Frank, BSA/AML, Lanham Act, Stark Law, and Franchise Rule, as well as the numerous federal and state level securities, labor and employment, and corporate governance laws and regulations.
- Conducted investigations into financial transactions associated with foreign entities in connection with anti-money laundering initiatives.
- Conducted due diligence and audit reviews of asset-backed securities, and collaborated with trustees to recover funds for investors.
- Represented large and mid-sized corporations before the District of Columbia Superior Court, Court of Appeals, and Office of Administrative Hearings.
- Successfully defended a client against a $1,000,000.00 civil suit and appeal filed under the pretense of civil rights violations.
- Prevailed at the summary judgment stage in numerous cases involving criminal activity and HUD regulations.
- Negotiated deals with financial services companies, publicly trading and closely held entities, government agencies, special interest groups, and foreign organizations.
Mr. An contributed to “Sue and Settle: Regulating Behind Closed Doors,” U.S. Chamber of Commerce, May 2013.
Prior to joining Tayman Lane Chaverri, Mr. An began his career working on securities litigation and auditing matters with a consulting group, and as in-house counsel for a government contractor. From there, Mr. An entered private practice where he handled countless cases involving real property, regulatory and administrative matters before the District of Columbia Superior Court and the Office of Administrative Hearings
Mr. An is a member of the bars of New York and the District of Columbia, and is admitted to the federal courts for the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia; U.S. District Court for Maryland; U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York; and U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Mr. An earned his Juris Doctor from George Washington University Law School (2014); Master of Management Studies from Duke University Fuqua School of Business (2011); and Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, in Political Science from George Washington University (2010).